This is how madness begins …
When the writing gets tough, my mind tends to wander. (Well, my mind tends to wander no matter what … but especially when the writing hits a snag. But, I digress ….) I long ago formed the habit of having the television on in the background because, well, my mind begins to wander if it’s too quiet. Of course I subsequently discovered that if I have on the news or TNT or HBO, I end up watching the television. Yes, dear readers, my mind wanders a lot.
My solution? Put a movie I love but have seen 100s of times in the DVD player and put it on a loop. Today, as I do quite often, I put in Resident Evil.
Somewhere around the third time through the zombie-with-the-axe-limping-towards-our-heroes scene I wondered exactly how many times I’ve seen the darned thing. Like any good #twitteraddict I promptly tweeted the thought out. And, yes, my mind started to wander …. #lesigh
Am I the only one out there that watches movies over and over? If not, what other movies do people adore enough to view repeatedly?
So I put it out as my daily twitter “Question of the Day.”
Within a couple minutes that fateful tweet arrived from a new twitter pal @stateofcake: are you going to post the top 5 movies people can watch over and over?
The top 10 most-mentioned movies my twitter friends watch over and over:
- Star Wars (IV,V,VI)
- Harry Potter series
- Princess Bride
- Pride & Prejudice
- Mary Poppins
- Sound of Music
- Grease, Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Dirty Harry
- Forrest Gump
(As a special late addition – I add a shout out for Breakfast at Tiffany’s for one twitter pal who was particularly passionate about this great classic!)
Now, of course, the results are pretty random but from the dozens and dozens of movies mentioned there were some interesting trends.
- Older movies dominated. Other oldies mentioned that didn’t make it into the top ten include Doctor Zhivago, My Fair Lady, Arsenic and Old Lace, Gone With the Wind and The Dirty Dozen.
- Musicals – despite Hollywood studios’ love-hate relationship with them in recent decades – remain prominent among the movies we love to watch over and over.
- Many of you favor comedies, sci-fi or fantasies as beloved standbys to improve a mood, nudge the muse, or provide an excuse for diving headfirst into a bowl of popcorn (nod to Labyrinth, The Crow and Iron Man).
- Few of you out there like to venture down to the dark side as frequently as I do, but for those that do Seven, Night of the Living Dead (original) and House of 1,000 Corpses got a lot of love.
Thanks to all who participated – you reminded me of some really great flicks I have not seen in quite a while. (and if you missed the poll, feel free to add your suggestion to the list!)